The Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island's largest cultural organization, protects, preserves and presents the best of Newport County's architectural heritage. Its 11 historic properties and landscapes - seven of which are National Historic Landmarks - trace America's architectural and social development from the Colonial era through the Gilded Age. In keeping with its mission, the Society strives to offer its members and the public a comprehensive view of each property's architecture, interiors, landscapes and social history.
The Society is headquartered in a three-story Romanesque Revival mansion at 424 Bellevue Avenue, constructed in 1888 as a summer residence for William H. Osgood of New York. Its last private owner was Herbert Claiborne Pell, former U.S. Ambassador to Portugal and Hungary. After several incarnations as a school building, the property was purchased in 1992 by the Preservation Society, which conducted an extensive restoration and renovation of the building for use as its administrative headquarters.
The Preservation Society of Newport County is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, a recognition of excellence within the museum community.
AAM accreditation is a seal of approval that promotes ethical and professional practices.