Becoming Vanderbilt An Exhibition at Rosecliff
NOW OPEN at Rosecliff
Discover the Women of the Vanderbilt Dynasty
Alice Vanderbilt, Matriarch • Alva Vanderbilt Belmont, Suffragist • Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan, Duchess • Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, Artist
In a year celebrating women, Becoming Vanderbilt will shine a bright light on four of our own. The Vanderbilt men are well known for their dominance of 19th-century American industry and the staggering fortunes they amassed during the Gilded Age; meanwhile, their wives and daughters turned their talents and formidable influence to causes outside the expected domestic realm. From Alice Vanderbilt’s philanthropy and her daughter Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney’s work as patron, artist and museum founder, to Alva Vanderbilt Belmont’s tireless efforts on behalf of women’s suffrage and her daughter Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan’s benevolence, we honor the legacy of these extraordinary women. This exhibition draws upon holdings in the Preservation Society’s collections as well as key loans from other institutions and private collections. Through the sharing of personal effects, clothing and memorabilia, we aim to introduce deeper narratives about each woman.
General Public $18 Adult $10 Youth 6-17 Thursdays & Fridays 4 pm – 8 pm
Member $10 Adult $8 Youth 6-17 Saturdays & Sundays 1 pm – 6 pm
Early Closings: October 16 & October 18 - Closing at 4 pm
Closed Sept. 17 – 20, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve & New Year's
• Rosecliff is open for Becoming Vanderbilt Exhibition viewing only. Tours are not available.
• Picnicking is not allowed on the grounds.
• Exhibition tickets are required to be on the grounds.
• Newport Mansions Duo, Summer Passport, Gardens & Grounds, Breakers & Single House tickets are not valid for exhibition admission.
• Discount available for members with valid membership card.
• Elevator is not available. Rosecliff is not accessible.
• Face coverings & social distancing required.
Enjoy a virtual visit of Becoming Vanderbilt
Watch the video from the online preview of Becoming Vanderbilt