Preserving the structures and artifacts of Newport's colorful past is a difficult, meticulous, and expensive undertaking. The Preservation Society of Newport County is a non-profit organization, and relies on generous donations from the general public to help fund its operations.
We are asking our most loyal supporters to help keep our dedicated staff employed at The Breakers and The Elms by making a gift to underwrite personnel costs at the houses, allowing us to rebuild our admissions revenues.
- A gift of $65,000 will keep one house open for a month.
- A gift of $15,000 will keep one house open for a week.
- A gift of $5,000 will keep one house open for a weekend.
- A gift of $2,000 will keep one house open for a day.
A gift to the Annual Fund, which supports general operations and immediate needs, is the most comprehensive way to support the Preservation Society. Each year we rely on private contributions from friends like you to help us:
- Properly care for and present the houses and grounds
- Provide educational offerings including lectures and symposia
- Plan and develop an exciting schedule of special events
- Execute thousands of public tours
- Enrich, enlighten and inspire our community in many other ways
A gift to one of the top capital priorities will help to preserve the historic properties and landscapes in our care as well as provide a safe and enjoyable experience for the 1 million visitors each year.
The Conservators Circle
The Conservators Circle was established to recognize and thank those members and friends who have provided for the Society in their estate plans. Through planned gifts donors are able to provide substantial support while continuing to care for their own life needs. The benefits of planned gifts, by their nature, continue well beyond a donor's lifetime.
A gift to the endowment will ensure that the Preservation Society has a steady source of income even in the face of budgetary challenges, and can pursue first-rate educational and scholarly activities well into the future. Your contribution to the endowment is a self-renewing gift in that the Society’s current spending policy of five percent per year allows the principal to grow while generating a reliable income stream in perpetuity.
For additional information or to discuss your gift intentions in detail, please contact Tara Flynn, Director of Development, at (401) 847-1000 ext. 191 or via e-mail to