Several positions are currently posted. Scroll down to view them all. To apply for a position, email a cover letter and resume with contact information for professional references, to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Human Resources, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport RI 02840.
You may also download an employment application, fill it out and mail to the above address.
PROPERTIES MANAGER (Full-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County is seeking a full-time Properties Manager. The Properties Manager is responsible for the oversight, management and coordination of the day-to-day operations of the various PSNC properties; Historic Museum Houses and support buildings. This position is responsible for managing the 7 property site supervisors and their various staffs +/- 40 as well as their associated budgets. This position assists, manages and supports the caretakers. Duties include the hiring and training of staff, ordering of all materials/supplies & equipment, assignment of duties, scheduling of personnel, tracking job costs and work-hours and handling personnel issues. This position also has an administrative component for supporting the entire Properties Department of processing invoices, creating work orders, and will require working closely with the Maintenance Manager and Properties Director to process, track and follow up on work done at the properties.
• Supervises, supports and advocates for the needs of the site supervisors and housekeepers, and acts as their manager and the bridge between them and other members of the Properties Department and the entire organization.
• Plans, organizes, directs, creates and controls schedules, equipment and manpower necessary to meet the operational requirements of each property.
• Maintains the operations desk for the Properties Department. Responsible for all correspondence, filing, record keeping and work requests.
• Responsible for maintaining computerized work orders and budget programs and maintaining files in File Maker Pro database.
• Processes and reviews all invoices for correctness and submits them to the Properties Director for approval.
• Assists the Properties Director in establishing the properties department operating processes, procedures, methods and instructions.
• Performs the duties as a supervisor with the minimum of supervision.
• Assists in yearly development of manpower budget for staff development and ensure training is scheduled and attended.
• Assists the Properties Director in establishing yearly maintenance schedules and (5) five-year major repair project budget projections.
• Interacts both orally and in writing with all PSNC departments, colleagues, contractors and committees.
• Attends and conducts meetings and prepares an agenda for caretaker meetings.
• Cognizant of the aesthetic values of Society properties, and ensures that all caretaking staff is aware and trained in the proper work processes and procedures.
• Performs caretaking staffs yearly job appraisals.
• Develops staff training based on the needs of the department and ensures training is obtained.
• Responsible for the hiring, disciplinary actions and/or dismissal of employees in collaboration with the Properties Director
• Must be a great communicator (both written and orally) with good people skills and a positive demeanor as this position acts as a central point of contact for the department.
• Must be a versatile team player and work well with others both collaboratively as well as independently.
• Must be self-motivated with great time-management skills and the ability to multi-task and establish priorities and follow through to completion.
• Must be detail oriented and highly organized with the ability to create organizational systems, processes and procedures in a changing environment.
• Basic financial accounting and time management skills with the ability to create and maintain a budget and schedule is highly desirable.
• Must be open-minded with the ability to maintain flexible behavior, attitude and approach towards assignments, and the creatively problem solve.
• Ability to operate basic office equipment proficiently (computer, scanner, telephone, photocopier and fax machines).
• Possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
• Associate’s Degree or equivalent.
• Minimum five years of documented experience in a related field; property/project/building management, building, construction, maintenance or custodial related experience is highly desired, but not required.
• Minimum two years of documented management and supervisory experience.
• Knowledge of the building, maintenance and construction fields are helpful but not required.
• Intermediate computer experience, including experience with MS-Windows / MS Office Suite (Excel and Word), e-mail, scheduling and word processing programs. Familiarity with File Maker Pro, timekeeping systems & AutoCAD (desired but not required).
SECURITY GUARD (Part-Time)
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Ability to read, count and write legibly in order to accurately complete all documentation.
Ability to consistently arrive at work on time and ready to begin duties.
Valid state-issued motor vehicle operator’s license.
Ability to stand for extended periods, usually 40-45 minutes per hour.
Ability to walk quickly for extended distances under emergency circumstances.
Ability to open and close large, heavy gates, sometimes weighing several tons
Ability to lift and carry signs and banners, sometimes weighing as much as thirty pounds.
Ability to communicate with associates and guests.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a combination of weekday and weekend hours, including holidays, primarily between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
The Preservation Society Security Guard is a highly skilled, observant and conscientious member of the Properties Department. Such employees must possess excellent communications skills, as they will be interacting with the public. The primary responsibility of the Security Guard is to provide for the safety of the grounds, parking areas, and crosswalks where applicable. Secondary responsibilities will include enforcing Preservation Society policies, helping visitors with special needs to enter the house, and greeting group visitors and answering questions in the absence of greeters.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part –time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 25 hrs/wk with the possibility of up to 40 hrs/wk in season. Some weekend days required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
Follow an established schedule to ensure that primary cleaning duties are completed in time for the property to open to the public.
Daily operation of the alarm system and lights in preparation for site open and close to the public.
Daily glass cleaning and removal of dust on floors, surfaces and furniture.
Careful movement of furniture or other historic artifacts when directed and under the supervision of Site Supervisor.
Periodic cleaning/buffing floors, may involve use of wax or other chemical compounds, as directed.
Opening and closing of windows, as directed and replacement of light bulbs.
Collect trash, vacuum as necessary, clean, and monitor and restock bathrooms.
Sweep and removal of trash, leaves, and snow from interior and exterior walkways and entrances, may require use of blowing machine for leaf and /or snow removal.
May be asked to check conditions of grounds of assigned property and set up and dismantle traffic ropes and signage.
Perform other related duties as required or directed.
High School Diploma or equivalent with previous housekeeping experience preferred.
Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
Work from verbal and written instructions, able to read and comprehend simple instructions.
Good communication skills and ability to maintain flexible behavior.
Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.