COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE MANAGER (Full-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County is seeking a Communications Associate Manager. Reporting to the Communications Manager, this position provides direct administrative support to both the Communications Manager and Department Director.
• Assist the Communications Manager in supporting the communications goals and objectives of the CEO/Executive Director at the direction of the Museum Experience Director.
• In the absence of the Communications manager, act as one of three designated spokespersons for The Preservation Society of Newport County and the Newport Mansions
• At the Direction of the Communications Manager:
• Refine and implement the department’s communications strategy.
• Respond in a timely and accurate manner to all information requests from the media or the public regarding PSNC properties, programs or events, in consultation with the Communications Manager
• Implement a social media strategy year round personally and through contractors.
• Post visually compelling social media video and still content.
• Maintain a visually compelling website personally and through contractors.
• Plan and schedule news events; briefing senior management for upcoming news/media interviews.
• Prepare, edit and distribute press releases, editorials, news articles and letters for publication in newspapers and magazines promoting PSNC activities.
• Coordinate media events and escorting reporters and photographers on PSNC properties personally or through subordinates.
• Maintain strong working relationships with media contacts locally, nationally and internationally.
• Edit all external publications produced by other PSNC departments including letters, invitations, brochures, books, periodicals and advertising.
• Prepare, editing and distributing the Annual Report, Newport Gazette, e-newsletters and other promotional materials.
• Participate in planning and implementing strategies for increasing visitation and sales; this may include special events, advertising and other promotions.
• Photograph PSNC events for use by news media and in PSNC publications, website and social media.
• In co-operation with the Tourism Marketing Manager, overseeing maintenance and updates of the PSNC image library, including the hiring of professional photographers.
• Supervise, maintain and update messaging on the PS telephone auto attendant system, including seasonal operating schedule and storm closings.
• Management of the communications clips file assist in compiling and distributing news clips to appropriate staff and maintain database and files of news clips.
• Compile time-sensitive press materials for Preservation Society events and activities.
• Manage and submit data to confidential monthly attendance reports shared by regional museums.
• Occasionally assist the CEO with special projects
• Administer non-member e-mail database and coordinate responses to public inquiries about the museum and its collections from firstname.lastname@example.org and other sources.
• Other position related tasks as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree. Preferred studies in Communications, Digital Media, Public Relations or Journalism.
• Minimum 5 years documented experience in a Communications / Public Relations management role.
• Demonstrates top tier writing and editing skills, published articles.
• Possesses strong entrepreneurial telephone skills.
• Possesses major market interview skills.
• Preferred publishing experience within a corporate or museum setting.
• Complete familiarity with MS-Office. Demonstrated experience with Constant Contact. Experience with Cision or other reputation management and media list management software.
• Proficiency with communications technologies; digital technology; social media, web design, and emerging communications vehicles.
• Mid-level experience with spreadsheet and database computer programs
• Ability to skillfully employ digital user interface for systems like websites and proven ability to post on all major social media channels through smart phone and laptop .
MUSEUM REGISTRAR-DATABASE ASSISTANT (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County is seeking a Part-Time Registrar to work 30 hours per week. Standard work days are Monday through Friday. Evenings and weekend events may require participation outside normal working hours.
The responsibilities of the Registrar-Database Assistant are focused on collection and collection data management. The position will update, maintain, and amend collection records in the current collections database, Museums Plus. The Preservation Society of Newport County will be migrating to a new database system software in the near future, and the Registrar-Database Assistant will be integral in the migration process. In addition, this position will assist with new acquisition accessioning, including assigning numbers, documenting, moving, and marking objects. The position will assist with object moves and facilitate storage throughout the properties as needed. The position will assist with temporary exhibition and permanent installation work, as appropriate. A successful candidate must be able to work independently and as part of team. This position is part of the Museum Affairs Department, which consists of eleven full-time staff members. As needed, the position will assist fellow staff members with important tasks as deemed appropriate by the supervisor and direct-report, the Preservation Society’s Collections Manager.
• Two year’s experience in a museum registration setting (preferred).
• B.A/B.S. degree in Museum Studies, Art History, or related field.
• Experience using collection management systems, Museums Plus (preferred)
• Ability to correctly handle works of art.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously and to work to strict deadlines. Excellent organizational and communication skills are required
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
ASSOCIATE TOUR GUIDE (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 30 hours per week in season. One weekend day is required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame. Must work a minimum of 3 days per week.
You will work as a Tour Guide within our audio tour house museums (The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and The Elms). Audio guides are responsible for providing excellent customer service, assisting visitors in way-finding on tours, learning about our house museums and the families who owned those houses, providing information to visitors and contributing to the overall quality of the visitor’s experience. The job involves working in multiple areas of each house where you will be required to stand, walk and sit throughout the day. You will use a two-way radio with an earpiece in order to communicate with other guides. Guides will have the opportunity to learn to give guided tours at our other house museums once they have worked at all the audio house museums.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills; documented customer service skills and public speaking experience preferred.
• Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and training guides.
• Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
• A minimum of one weekend day per week is required for all guides.
• We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; guides must be available to work on other holidays.
ADMISSIONS ASSOCIATE - TICKET SALES (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time Admissions Associates to work up to three days per week, including one weekend day.
The Admissions Associate is often the initial point of customer service contact. The Associate will possess a clear understanding of our ticket and membership options and will assist the visitor in making ticket selections by offering suggestions for the visitor to consider. Once a selection has been made the Associate will complete the sale in a fast, friendly, and accurate manner.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Minimum one-year documented sales or customer service experience
• Minimum one-year documented cash handling experience
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
• Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach toward assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
• Ability to operate sales program
• Possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record
We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; Admission Associates must be available to work on other holidays.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part –time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 25 hrs/wk with the possibility of up to 40 hrs/wk in season. Some weekend days required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
• Follow an established schedule to ensure that primary cleaning duties are completed in time for the property to open to the public.
• Daily operation of the alarm system and lights in preparation for site open and close to the public.
• Daily glass cleaning and removal of dust on floors, surfaces and furniture.
• Careful movement of furniture or other historic artifacts when directed and under the supervision of Site Supervisor.
• Periodic cleaning/buffing floors, may involve use of wax or other chemical compounds, as directed.
• Opening and closing of windows, as directed and replacement of light bulbs.
• Collect trash, vacuum as necessary, clean, and monitor and restock bathrooms.
• Sweep and removal of trash, leaves, and snow from interior and exterior walkways and entrances, may require use of blowing machine for leaf and /or snow removal.
• May be asked to check conditions of grounds of assigned property and set up and dismantle traffic ropes and signage.
• Perform other related duties as required or directed.
• High School Diploma or equivalent with previous housekeeping experience preferred.
• Strong self starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
• Work from verbal and written instructions, able to read and comprehend simple instructions.
• Good communication skills and ability to maintain flexible behavior.
• Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Part-time/Seasonal)
The Preservation Society of Newport County is seeking a part-time candidate to work up to 34 hours per week, seasonally. Work schedule typically includes a mixture of weekdays and weekend days. Daily work times range between 8:00-4:00, depending on assignment and visitor attendance. Certain special events may require occasional evening or holiday scheduling. Warehouse Associates perform manual duties related to the receipt and shipment of merchandise. Basic work entails the receiving, storage and distribution of PSNC property, including merchandise as well as general supplies.
• Accurately receive tag and process merchandise shipments to store locations. Each item is counted and the count verified against shipping document inspected for quality and priced in appropriate location.
• Assist in loading of merchandise on to delivery van daily. May assist driver with deliveries on days when there are large or heavy deliveries to the stores.
• Assists shipping and receiving (as needed) unloading trucks.
• Assembles requested orders from stock and places orders on pallets or shelves, or relocates orders to a holding area or shipping department.
• Marks materials with identifying information using appropriate method; ie. Bar codes
• Moves materials and items from receiving or storage areas to shipping or to other designated areas.
• Assists in counting of physical inventory.
• Counts items for distribution within plant to ensure conformance to company standards.
• High School Degree or equivalent.
• Warehouse-related experience preferred, but not required.
• Ability to make sensible and rational decisions under potentially stressful conditions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel objects.
• The employee must lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.