Several positions are currently posted. Scroll down to view them all. To apply for a position, email a cover letter and resume with contact information for professional references, to email@example.com, or mail to Human Resources, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport RI 02840.
You may also download an employment application, fill it out and mail to the above address.
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (Full-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island, steward of 11 historic house museums known as the Newport Mansions, drawing over 1 million admissions annually and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to serve as its primary liaison with the general public, primarily through news media and social media. As part of the communications team, supporting the CEO, the manager must be on the leading edge of modern communication methods and strategy, delivering written and oral presentations, responding to questions and requests through e-mail, social media, organization website, telephone, press releases, and general tourism publications. This individual must have a strong, contemporary visual sense in addition to strong writing skills.
• Supporting the communications goals and objectives of the CEO/Executive Director at the direction of the Museum Experience Director
• Acting as one of three designated spokespersons for The Preservation Society of Newport County and the Newport Mansions
• Designing a pro-active communications strategy to preserve and promote public support for PSNC activities, policies and programs
• Responding in a timely and accurate manner to all information requests from the media or the public regarding PSNC properties, programs or events, in consultation with the Museum Experience Director
• Informing and advising the Museum Experience Director on major trends and policy issues as they affect the public posture, reputation and perception of the Preservation Society
• Maintaining and implementing a social media strategy year round personally and through contractors
• Creating and directing the posting of visually compelling social media video and still content
• Maintaining a visually compelling website personally and through contractors
• Planning and scheduling news events; briefing senior management for upcoming news/media interviews
• Preparing, editing and distributing press releases, editorials, news articles and letters for publication in newspapers and magazines promoting PSNC activities
• Coordinating media events and escorting reporters and photographers on PSNC properties personally or through subordinates
• Maintaining strong working relationships with media contacts locally, nationally and internationally
• Editing all external publications produced by other PSNC departments including letters, invitations, brochures, books, periodicals and advertising
• Preparing, editing and distributing the Annual Report, Newport Gazette, e-newsletters and other promotional materials
• Participating in planning and implementing strategies for increasing visitation and sales; this may include special events, advertising and other promotions
• Photographing PSNC events for use by news media and in PSNC publications, website and social media
• Overseeing maintenance and updates of the PSNC image library, in co-operation with the Tourism Marketing Manager, including the hiring of professional photographers
• Supervise, maintain and update messaging on the PS telephone auto attendant system, including seasonal operating schedule and storm closings
• Bachelor’s Degree. Preferred studies in Communications, Digital Media, Public Relations or Journalism
• Minimum 5 years documented experience in a Communications / Public Relations management role
• Demonstrates top tier writing and editing skills, published articles
• Possesses strong entrepreneurial telephone skills
• Possesses major market interview skills
• Preferred publishing experience within a corporate or museum setting
• Communications business computer experience, including familiarity MS-Windows, e-mail, and word processing programs. Requires complete familiarity with the Internet environment
• Mid-level experience with spreadsheet and database computer programs
• Ability to skillfully employ digital user interface for systems like websites and proven ability to post on all major social media channels through smart phone and laptop
ADMISSIONS ASSOCIATE - TICKET SALES (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time Admissions Associates to work up to three days per week, including one weekend day.
The Admissions Associate is often the initial point of customer service contact. The Associate will possess a clear understanding of our ticket and membership options and will assist the visitor in making ticket selections by offering suggestions for the visitor to consider. Once a selection has been made the Associate will complete the sale in a fast, friendly, and accurate manner.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Minimum one-year documented sales or customer service experience
• Minimum one-year documented cash handling experience
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
• Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach toward assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
• Ability to operate sales program
• Possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record
ASSOCIATE TOUR GUIDE (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 30 hours per week in season, seasonally. One weekend day is required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
Positions Available for either:
• Summer-only guides- must work a minimum of 4 days per week.
• Seasonal guides- working up to 28 hours per week. Must work a minimum of 3 days per week.
You will work as a Tour Guide within our audio tour house museums (The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and The Elms). Audio guides are responsible for providing excellent customer service, assisting visitors in way-finding on tours, learning about our house museums and the families who owned those houses, providing information to visitors and contributing to the overall quality of the visitor’s experience. The job involves working in multiple areas of each house where you will be required to stand, walk and sit throughout the day. You will use a two-way radio with an earpiece in order to communicate with other guides. Guides will have the opportunity to learn to give guided tours at our other house museums once they have worked at all the audio house museums.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills; documented customer service skills and public speaking experience preferred.
• Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and training guides.
• Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
• A minimum of one weekend day per week is required for all guides.
• We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; guides must be available to work on other holidays.
SECURITY GUARD (Part-Time)
Ability to read, count and write legibly in order to accurately complete all documentation
Ability to consistently arrive at work on time and ready to begin duties.
Valid state-issued motor vehicle operator’s license.
Ability to stand for extended periods, usually 40-45 minutes per hour.
Ability to walk quickly for extended distances under emergency circumstances.
Ability to open and close large, heavy gates, sometimes weighing several tons
Ability to lift and carry signs and banners, sometimes weighing as much as thirty pounds
Ability to communicate with associates and guests.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a combination of weekday and weekend hours, including holidays, primarily between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
The Preservation Society Security Guard is a highly skilled, observant and conscientious member of the Properties Department. Such employees must possess excellent communications skills, as they will be interacting with the public. The primary responsibility of the Security Guard is to provide for the safety of the grounds, parking areas, and crosswalks where applicable. Secondary responsibilities will include enforcing Preservation Society policies, helping visitors with special needs to enter the house, and greeting group visitors and answering questions in the absence of greeters.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks seasonal Groundskeeper. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 7:00am until 3:30pm. Special events may require occasional attendance on weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
Groundskeepers provide routine maintenance of all PSNC grounds, including lawns, gardens, trees, shrubs, walkways, and driving areas. Operates hand or machine powered trimming equipment. May be trained to operate heavy-duty equipment, including backhoe or other digging machines. May be assigned special or priority grounds keeping projects as conditions warrant.
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
• Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach towards assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
• Ability to operate hand or machine powered grounds keeping tools.
• Must possess a valid Driver’s License with clean driving record.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part –time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 25 hrs/wk with the possibility of up to 40 hrs/wk in season. Some weekend days required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
Follow an established schedule to ensure that primary cleaning duties are completed in time for the property to open to the public.
Daily operation of the alarm system and lights in preparation for site open and close to the public.
Daily glass cleaning and removal of dust on floors, surfaces and furniture.
Careful movement of furniture or other historic artifacts when directed and under the supervision of Site Supervisor.
Periodic cleaning/buffing floors, may involve use of wax or other chemical compounds, as directed.
Opening and closing of windows, as directed and replacement of light bulbs.
Collect trash, vacuum as necessary, clean, and monitor and restock bathrooms.
Sweep and removal of trash, leaves, and snow from interior and exterior walkways and entrances, may require use of blowing machine for leaf and /or snow removal.
May be asked to check conditions of grounds of assigned property and set up and dismantle traffic ropes and signage.
Perform other related duties as required or directed.
High School Diploma or equivalent with previous housekeeping experience preferred.
Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
Work from verbal and written instructions, able to read and comprehend simple instructions.
Good communication skills and ability to maintain flexible behavior.
Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.