Several positions are currently posted. Scroll down to view them all. To apply for a position, please email a cover letter and resume with contact information for professional references, to
or mail to Human Resources, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport RI 02842.
You may also download an employment application, fill it out and mail to the above address.
ASSOCIATE TOUR GUIDE (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks Part-Time Associate Tour Guides to work three to four days a week, to include one weekend day.
• You will work as a Tour Guide of the Preservation Society of Newport County within our audio tour house museums (The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms).
• Audio guides are responsible for providing excellent customer service, assisting visitors in way-finding on tours, learning about our house museums and the families who owned those houses, providing information to visitors and contributing to the overall quality of the visitor’s experience.
• The job involves working in multiple areas of each house where you will be required to stand, walk and sit throughout the day. You will use a two-way radio with an earpiece in order to communicate with other guides.
• Guides will have the opportunity to learn to give guided tours at our other house museums once they have worked at all the audio house museums.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills; documented customer service skills and public speaking experience preferred.
• Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and training guides.
• Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
• A minimum of one weekend day per week is required for all guides.
• We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; guides must be available to work on other holidays.
ADMISSIONS ASSOCIATE - TICKET SALES (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time Admissions Associates to work up to three days per week, including one weekend day.
The Admissions Associate is often the initial point of customer service contact. The Associate will possess a clear understanding of our ticket and membership options and will assist the visitor in making ticket selections by offering suggestions for the visitor to consider. Once a selection has been made the Associate will complete the sale in a fast, friendly, and accurate manner.
High School diploma or equivalent
Minimum one-year documented sales or customer service experience
Minimum one-year documented cash handling experience
Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach toward assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
Ability to operate sales program
Possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record
SPECIAL EVENTS ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Minimum one year of documented office / clerical experience.
Basic experience with MS-Windows, Microsoft Office & Microsoft Outlook.
Basic experience with spreadsheet and database computer programs.
Excellent written, verbal communication and organizational skills.
Ability to compose formal and informal communications to all levels of the organization.
Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
Energetic team-player with excellent interpersonal, customer service and telephone skills.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time, Special Events Administrative Assistant. Hours of work are 24 hours per week – preferably Monday, Friday and one other day. Special events may require work on evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
The Special Events Administrative Assistant provides administrative and clerical support to the ongoing operations of the Special Events Department. Tasks include, but are not limited to, telephone communications, client correspondence, filing, reviewing and verifying invoices, arranging meetings and appointments, copying and faxing. Receives and processes ticket requests for Special Event functions and maintains this information in a database.
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATES
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time Sales Associates to work 24 to 40 hours a week, depending on season. Work schedule is typically a mixture of weekdays and weekend days. Specific days and hours vary by assigned store.
• Greet visitors in a friendly and caring manner making them feel welcome.
• Assist the visitor in identifying their merchandise needs by asking questions as outlined in training.
• Accurately operate Point of Sales (POS) System, credit card machine, and maintain cash drawer.
• Complete daily sales forms, prepare deposits to send to PSNC Annex, count and balance cash drawer, and open/close according to procedure.
• Unpack merchandise and restock displays.
• Maintain and restock merchandise and supplies used in the daily operation.
• Alert supervisor to any problems in the daily operation and any dissatisfied visitors.
• Perform light housekeeping to include cleaning of glass, sales counter, and general work area.
• Give directions, answer questions accurately, and offer helpful suggestions to the visitors.
• Participate in annual store inventories.
• Assist supervisor to insure that all policies and procedures are being followed.
• High School Degree or equivalent.
• Previous customer service and cash handling experience preferred but not required.
• Ability to operate telephone, fax machine, credit card reader and POS cash system.
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and verbal communication skills.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time/seasonal groundskeepers to work up to 40 hours per week from Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM May through December. Special events may require work on evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Provides routine maintenance of all PSNC grounds to include:
Cutting lawns, using hand mower or power mower.
Trimming and edging around walks, flower beds, and walls; using clippers, weed cutters and edging tools.
Pruning shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damaged leaves, branches, or twigs, using shears, pruners or chain saw.
Spraying lawn, shrubs and trees with fertilizer, herbicides and insecticides (as permitted by RI law), using hand or automatic sprayer.
Raking and bagging leaves, using rake.
Cleaning grounds and removing litter, using spiked stick or broom.
Shoveling snow from walks and driveways.
Spreading salt on public passageways to prevent ice buildup.
Planting grass, flowers, trees and shrubs, using gardening tools.
Watering lawn and shrubs, using hose or by activating fixed or portable sprinkler system.
May be assigned to clean out drainage ditches and culverts, using shovel and rake.
May perform ground maintenance duties, using tractor equipped with attachments, such as mowers, spreaders, lawn roller, and snow removal equipment.
May sharpen tools, such as weed cutters, edging tools and shears using file or knife sharpener.
May make minor repairs on equipment (as instructed), such as lawn mower, spreader, and snow removal equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
High School Degree or equivalent with minimum 2 years of documented groundskeeping or landscaping experience preferred.
Valid driver's license with clean driving record