Several positions are currently posted. Scroll down to view them all. To apply for a position, email a cover letter and resume with contact information for professional references, to email@example.com, or mail to Human Resources, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport RI 02840.
You may also download an employment application, fill it out and mail to the above address.
VOLUNTEER/ INTERNSHIP COORDINATOR (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a Part-Time candidate to work up to up to 20 hours per week Monday – Friday, during business hours. Special events may require work on evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Understand, support and promote the mission of the PSNC and the volunteer/internship program. Act as a liaison between the program and the PSNC staff. Engage the volunteers/interns more fully into the PSNC operations to provide ongoing team building efforts between the volunteers/interns and staff.
Work with supervisors and managers to define volunteer/intern needs, place, train, and schedule appropriate volunteers/interns in their programs and activities. Familiarize supervisors and managers with their roles, duties, and responsibilities.
Responsible for the recruitment and orientation of volunteers/interns as well as retain current volunteers. Recognize and ensure positive communication with all volunteers and interns.
Develop and implement training programs for volunteers and interns.
Set up and attend volunteer meetings. Report to staff on volunteer activities as needed.
Manage volunteer and internship record keeping and general volunteer and internship program administration – including database, mailing list, volunteer/intern handbook, training, hours tracking, benefits and awards.
Foster a sense of community among volunteers buy continuing and growing volunteer recognition programs.
Represent the volunteer program in the community at large as well as at outreach events.
Evaluate and implement changes and improvements in the volunteer program with other senior staff and volunteer input.
Develop and maintain relationships with area schools to foster learning and internship opportunities.
Assist staff with intern recruitment and placement
Bachelors’ degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Education, Social Services, or related field with two plus year’s supervisory experience.
Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer/internship programs, and training preferred. Experience and ability to work with diverse populations.
Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams; good interpersonal skills; good listener; engaging and positive attitude, demonstrated conflict management skills.
Proficient in Microsoft Office environment; hands-on approach to systems; experienced with databases and tracking large amounts of data; good with numbers; detail driven.
Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously in a busy environment; willingness to do whatever it takes to complete projects on time and with accuracy.
FOOD SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Part-Time/Seasonal)
Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach towards assignments.
Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 32 hours per week in season. Standard hours are 9:00am -5:00pm. One weekend day is required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
This position will need to work in conjunction with the Food Service Manager and/or Food Service Supervisor and catering staff to ensure the smooth operation of The Breakers Welcome Center food service. This individual will inspect premises, furniture, and equipment to insure that the highest quality of health, safety and sanitation are maintained and continually monitor the environment to assess, detect and prevent any variance from established housekeeping, sanitation, safety, dress, hygiene and customer service standards. Responsibilities also include keeping the venue fully stocked for customers and greeting all guests and making them feel welcome and comfortable.
ASSOCIATE TOUR GUIDE (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 30 hours per week in season, seasonally. One weekend day is required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
Positions Available for either:
• Summer-only guides- must work a minimum of 4 days per week.
• Seasonal guides- working up to 28 hours per week. Must work a minimum of 3 days per week.
You will work as a Tour Guide within our audio tour house museums (The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and The Elms). Audio guides are responsible for providing excellent customer service, assisting visitors in way-finding on tours, learning about our house museums and the families who owned those houses, providing information to visitors and contributing to the overall quality of the visitor’s experience. The job involves working in multiple areas of each house where you will be required to stand, walk and sit throughout the day. You will use a two-way radio with an earpiece in order to communicate with other guides. Guides will have the opportunity to learn to give guided tours at our other house museums once they have worked at all the audio house museums.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and customer service skills; documented customer service skills and public speaking experience preferred.
• Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions and training guides.
• Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
• A minimum of one weekend day per week is required for all guides.
• We are only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas; guides must be available to work on other holidays.
SECURITY GUARD (Part-Time)
Ability to read, count and write legibly in order to accurately complete all documentation
Ability to consistently arrive at work on time and ready to begin duties.
Valid state-issued motor vehicle operator’s license.
Ability to stand for extended periods, usually 40-45 minutes per hour.
Ability to walk quickly for extended distances under emergency circumstances.
Ability to open and close large, heavy gates, sometimes weighing several tons
Ability to lift and carry signs and banners, sometimes weighing as much as thirty pounds
Ability to communicate with associates and guests.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part-time candidate to work a combination of weekday and weekend hours, including holidays, primarily between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
The Preservation Society Security Guard is a highly skilled, observant and conscientious member of the Properties Department. Such employees must possess excellent communications skills, as they will be interacting with the public. The primary responsibility of the Security Guard is to provide for the safety of the grounds, parking areas, and crosswalks where applicable. Secondary responsibilities will include enforcing Preservation Society policies, helping visitors with special needs to enter the house, and greeting group visitors and answering questions in the absence of greeters.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
ADMISSIONS ASSOCIATE - TICKET SALES (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks part-time Admissions Associates to work up to three days per week, including one weekend day.
The Admissions Associate is often the initial point of customer service contact. The Associate will possess a clear understanding of our ticket and membership options and will assist the visitor in making ticket selections by offering suggestions for the visitor to consider. Once a selection has been made the Associate will complete the sale in a fast, friendly, and accurate manner.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Minimum one-year documented sales or customer service experience
• Minimum one-year documented cash handling experience
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
• Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach toward assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
• Ability to operate sales program
• Possess a valid driver's license with a clean driving record
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks seasonal Groundskeeper. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 7:00am until 3:30pm. Special events may require occasional attendance on weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
Groundskeepers provide routine maintenance of all PSNC grounds, including lawns, gardens, trees, shrubs, walkways, and driving areas. Operates hand or machine powered trimming equipment. May be trained to operate heavy-duty equipment, including backhoe or other digging machines. May be assigned special or priority grounds keeping projects as conditions warrant.
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
• Ability to maintain flexible behavior and approach towards assignments and successfully operate under occasional ambiguous guidelines.
• Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
• Ability to operate hand or machine powered grounds keeping tools.
• Must possess a valid Driver’s License with clean driving record.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Part-Time)
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a Part –Time candidate to work as a Sales Associate 24 up to 40 hours per week depending on season. Work schedule is typically a mixture of weekdays and weekend days. Specific days and hours vary by assigned store. Must have availability to work some evenings.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Greet visitors in a friendly and caring manner making them feel welcome.
• Assist the visitor in identifying their merchandise needs by asking questions as outlined in training.
• Accurately operate POS System and credit card machine. Maintain cash drawer.
• Complete daily sales forms, prepare deposits to send to PSNC Annex, count and balance cash drawer, and open/close according to procedure.
• Unpack merchandise and restock displays.
• Maintain and restock merchandise and supplies used in the daily operation.
• Alert supervisor to any problems in the daily operation and any dissatisfied visitors.
• Perform light housekeeping to include cleaning of glass, sales counter, and general work area.
• Give directions, answer questions accurately, and offer helpful suggestions to the visitors.
• Participate in annual store inventories.
• Assist supervisor to insure that all policies and procedures are being followed.
• Perform other related duties as required or directed.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Previous customer service and cash handling experience preferred but not required.
• Ability to operate telephone, fax machine, credit card reader and POS cash system.
• Ability to multi-task and establish priorities in a busy fast paced environment.
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service and verbal communication skills.
The Preservation Society of Newport County seeks a part –time candidate to work a flexible schedule up to 25 hrs/wk with the possibility of up to 40 hrs/wk in season. Some weekend days required. Occasional special events may require work outside of this time frame.
Follow an established schedule to ensure that primary cleaning duties are completed in time for the property to open to the public.
Daily operation of the alarm system and lights in preparation for site open and close to the public.
Daily glass cleaning and removal of dust on floors, surfaces and furniture.
Careful movement of furniture or other historic artifacts when directed and under the supervision of Site Supervisor.
Periodic cleaning/buffing floors, may involve use of wax or other chemical compounds, as directed.
Opening and closing of windows, as directed and replacement of light bulbs.
Collect trash, vacuum as necessary, clean, and monitor and restock bathrooms.
Sweep and removal of trash, leaves, and snow from interior and exterior walkways and entrances, may require use of blowing machine for leaf and /or snow removal.
May be asked to check conditions of grounds of assigned property and set up and dismantle traffic ropes and signage.
Perform other related duties as required or directed.
High School Diploma or equivalent with previous housekeeping experience preferred.
Strong self-starter with the ability to work independently, multi-task, and establish priorities.
Work from verbal and written instructions, able to read and comprehend simple instructions.
Good communication skills and ability to maintain flexible behavior.
Follow prescribed safety and health rules, regulations and practices.
Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.