Stone Villa (1833)
- Middleton, Brooks, Bennet, Whitehouse Estate
- Architect: Alexander McGregor, embellished by Dudley Newton and the firm of McIntosh &Alger
- Located on Bellevue Avenue between Jones Avenue and William Street
- Demolished: 1957
An impressive fieldstone and granite-trimmed Italianate manor house built by Newport stonemason Alexander McGregor, Stone Villa was significantly embellished by local architect Dudley Newton and by the firm of McIntosh &Alger for James Gordon Bennett, publisher of the New York and the Paris Herald.Bennett was responsible for the installation of the gatepost owls, symbolic of the New York Herald. The house had been a Newport landmark since the earlier days of such occupants as the Middleton family of Charleston, South Carolina,and the Brooks family of Boston. Later still it became associated with Imperial Russia when leased by successive Russian Ambassadors as the summer legation and residence. The estate's final owner was William F. Whitehouse of New York from whose estate the property was acquired by developers in 1957 and demolished forthe Bellevue Shopping Center.
- Lyman Estate
- Architect: Unknown
- Located on Webster Street between Bellevue Avenue and Lawrence Avenue
This large white timber-framed mid-nineteenth-century Victorian cottage was built for Charles Lyman of Boston and remained in his family until the 1973 death of Cyril B. Judge, widower of the former Annie Lyman. The house was then demolished and the grounds acquired as open space by Mrs. Elinor Dorrance Hill Ingersoll. The property has since been sold by her estate and is, in 2005, now subdivided for luxury homes.
- Oliver DeLancey Kane House
- Architects: Detlef Lienau and Leon Marcotte
- Located on Bath Road (now Memorial Boulevard) between Annandale Road and Cliff Street
- Demolished: c. 1939
Along with Chateau-sur-Mer and Malbone, the DeLancey Kane estate Beach Cliffe was the most opulent of pre-Civil War Newport villas and the first modern French chateau int he city. The German-born, Paris-trained Lienau formed a partnership with the French-born, New York-based cabinetmaker/decorator Marcotte between 1850 and 1854. Beach Cliffe resulted from this collaboration, and with its French Second Empire facades and the cosmopolitan Louis XV style academic interiors was decades ahead of its time. DeLancey Kane and his wife, nee Louisa Astor Langdon, were leaders of the Newport-New York social set, and Kane brought the first four-in-hand road coach, Tallyho, from England to America. The estate was sold in 1867 to the Philadelphia publisher, Charles J. Peterson, and later to Richard V. Mattison. In 1939, Eugene O'Reilly and James T. O'Connell bought the property and subsequently demolished the estate for residential subdivision.
Cadwallader Cottage (1852)
- Builder: T.D. Spooner
- Located on Bellevue Avenue at Ledge Road
- Demolished: late 1950s
Acquired in 1853 by George Cadwallader of Philadelphia, this large, square, timber-framed Victorian cottage remained in the Cadwallader family through the mid-twentieth century. In 1950, it belonged to Mrs. Felix W. Maganini and was demolished,following a fire, later that decade. A contemporary villa known as Tree Havenby architect George Henry Warren now occupies its site.
- Harper-Field-Warren Estate
- Architect: Thomas Alexander Tefft
- Located on Ocean Avenue and Jeffrey Road
- Demolished: 1966
Miss Emily Harper, granddaughter of Charles Carroll of Baltimore, commissioned a mansard-roof cottage with continuously shingled walls and roof from the then-popular Providence architect Thomas Tefft. The same year, Miss Harper and her mother provided most of the money to erect St. Mary's Church in Newport by the architect Patrick C. Keely. The house was subsequently sold to John M.Fields of Philadelphia and re-baptized Seafields. The George Henry Warrens of New York subsequently owned the property through World War II. Following the War, the house was leased seasonally and its last occupants were the owners,crew, families, and staff of the British challenging yacht for the America's Cup, The Sovereign, in 1964. Known popularly as Mildew Manor by these tenants, Seafield was demolished in 1966. A new house was built on the land in 2000.
The Reefs (1853)
- Wolfe-Knower-Whitney Estate
- Architect: Joseph Wells, alterations by Ogden Codman
- Located on Bellevue Avenue at Bancroft Avenue
Built for Christopher Wolfe of New York, this fine Italianate villa was one of the pre-Civil War showplaces of Newport. Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney added a Shingle Style sculpture studio on the cliffs, where she studied under the tutelage of Hendrik Christian Andersen. This studio was swept away in the 1938 hurricane and replaced with a yellow brick moderne style version by Noel and Miller in 1939. In December of 1942, while occupied by the family of Mrs. Whitney's sister,Countess László Széchényi, the villa caught fire. The cottage was demolished,the surviving gatehouse sold and moved to Ruggles Avenue, and the land acquired by Mr. S. Griswold Flagg of Radnor, Pennsylvania. The Flagg family in turn sold the estate, with Gertrude Whitney's surviving studio, to Reginald Rives, who in 1953 had a Georgian style red brick house built on the lower slope of the lot by architect Frederick Rhinelander King. Sold to T.W. Phinney in 1858, it was subsequently purchased by John Knower of New York. His cousin, Sarah French, sold the estate to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Payne Whitney (nee Gertrude Vanderbilt) in 1896. The Reefs was then encased in stucco and renovated by the architect Ogden Codman as Whitney Cottage.
House (c. 1855)
architect unknown; alterations by J. D. Johnston
- Located on
the corner of Kay Street and Ayrault Street
Built as the
summer residence of Boston merchant Caleb Chace, this Italianate summer cottage
was acquired by William S. Caldwell of New York in 1866. In 1890, his daughters
commissioned a private chapel with windows by John La Farge as part of
alterations undertaken by the Newport architect J. D. Johnston. Demolished for
residential subdivision in 1931, the house’s stained glass was purchased by the
Diocese of Fall River and incorporated into St Patrick’s Convent. In 2004,
Salve Regina University acquired the glass from the Fall River Diocese and
returned the windows to Newport for use on its campus.
- Gerry-Hartford Estate
- Original architect unknown; alterations by Peabody & Stearns
- Located on Bellevue Avenue at curve
A large mid-nineteenth-century timber-framed cottage built for John Paine of New York, Seaverge was much altered and embellished by Henry H. Cook in 1883 with the Boston architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns. The estate subsequently became the summer home of Elbridge T. Gerry of New York, the celebrated yachtsman, then in 1927 of Mrs. Edward V. Hartford. Harold B. Tinneys acquired Seaverge in 1955 and lived there until 1956 when they purchased nearby Belcourt for $25,000. Seaverge was sold and in 1957 demolished for subdivision.