In 1894, Cornelius Vanderbilt II commissioned architect Richard Morris Hunt to design the Stable & Carriage House on 2 acres of land at the corner of Bateman and Coggeshall Avenues, about two-thirds of a mile from The Breakers. The complex was completed in 1895 and contained 26 open stalls, two box stalls and space for 20 carriages. There was a harness room, workroom, office, hayloft, and a dining room, kitchen and bedrooms for the 20 grooms required to operate the stables. The head coachman was provided with a five-room apartment.
Cornelius Vanderbilt II
Richard Morris Hunt