2020 Newport Symposium Emerging Scholars Call For Proposals:
The 28th annual Newport Symposium will investigate the women that introduced, shaped, and redefined American art and culture. From the colonial era to the modern age, American history often overlooks the significant contributions of female artists, architects, designers, patrons, curators, and everyday persons. Historic Preservation projects in this country have largely been initiated and successfully sustained by women, yet their numerous and collaborative efforts as scholars, volunteers, and ground troops in the field of preservation have not yet been fully recognized.
To commemorate the centennial year of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, the Newport Symposium will, as Abigail Adams said, “remember the ladies.” 2020 also marks our first ever call for proposals. We welcome presentation proposals from emerging scholars on the subject of American Women in Historic Preservation.
Submissions to consist of:
Successful applicants will:
- Your full name, contact information, and institutional affiliation
- A written proposal/abstract of original research undertaken by the submitting scholar to be presented at the Newport Symposium
- An academic/professional CV
- A prose biographical statement
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor or academic/professional mentor (commentary on speaking experience preferred)
- Have completed their MA degree from an accredited university in a topically relevant field within the past five years
- Submit all required materials (as stated above)
- Have the capability to prepare and deliver a PowerPoint presentation that consists of approximately 15-30 images, of no more than 15-20 minutes in length to an audience
- Participate in a Q&A session that may be individually organized or panel
- Receive full registration to the 2020 Newport Symposium, including all social activities
- Make a commitment to attend the Symposium in its entirety
- Receive a speakers’ honorarium of $250 (completed W-9 form required)
- Transportation and accommodation will be provided by the Preservation Society
Once a successful candidate has been selected, Preservation Society staff will provide recommendations for how a candidate should create their presentation as it relates to technology capacities, reproduction needs, and venue requirements.
Send submission materials to: Symposium@NewportMansions.org
Deadline for submissions is December 1, 2019.