- G.F. Train Estate
- Builder: Cyrus Peckham
- Located on Bellevue Avenue at Bailey's Beach
- Demolished:Early 1970s
Formerly known as the Train Villa, this was the last large mansard Italianate cottage erected in Newport. Built for George F. Train of Boston, the estate was subsequently acquired by Newport real-estate promoter, Alfred Smith, and later by Woodbury Blair of New York. Badly damaged by fire in the early 1970s, it was replaced with a contemporary home on the site.
W. W. Tucker House (1869)
- Tucker-Post Estate
- Architect: George Champlin Mason, alterations by J. D. Johnston
- Located on Bellevue Avenue facing Marine Avenue
- Demolished: 1938
The William W. Tucker family of Boston chose Newport architect George Champlin Mason to build their Italianate cottage near the cliffs at the end of Bellevue Avenue overlooking a chasm that inspired the estate's name, The Grotto. When Frederick W. Vanderbilt acquired the Tucker property and began construction on the more palatial Rough Point in 1888, he had the Tucker house moved to a new site and renovated by J. D. Johnston. The cottage was then presented to the Post family,Mrs. Post being a sister of Mrs. Frederick W. Vanderbilt. The house in turn passed to Margaret Louise Post, the future Mrs. James L. Van Alen, later Mrs.Louis Bruguiere. Re-baptized Rosetta Villa, the house was sold by Mrs. Bruguiere to Newport developer James T. O’Connell who razed the villa in 1938. The site was subsequently part of the Vernon Court Junior College complex and was sold as a residential lot in 2004.
Gull Rock (1870)
- McKim-Hunnewell Estate
- Architect: Dudley Newton
- Located at the corner of Bellevue Avenue and Yznaga Avenue
- Demolished: 1970
Built in 1870 as the summer residence of R.V. McKim, Gull Rock, a rambling Queen Anne style cottage perched on the edge of the cliffs, was sold in 1876 to Hollis Hunnewell of Boston who undertook major alterations with his architect George Russell Shaw in 1883. The estate was owned by Robert Gould Shaw of Boston by 1920, Mr. A. L. Humes of New York, and later E. Bruce Merriman of Providence. Acquired in 1970 by Mr. and Mrs. Claus von Bulow, Gull Rock, was demolished and its site incorporated into the grounds of the adjacent Clarendon Court. Following the 1988 sale of the von Bulow estate, the Gull Rock site was separated and sold as the setting for a contemporary home.
The Rocks (c. 1870)
- Boit-Clews Estate
- Architect: John Hubbard Sturgis
- Located on Ocean Avenue (west of Bailey's Beach)
- Demolished: c. 1945
Built by Boston architect John Hubbard Sturgis for the Boston artist Edward Darley Boitand his wife Mary Louisa Cushing Boit, The Rocks was a rambling timber and granite Queen Anne villa sited on land belonging to Mrs. Boit's family. Following the Boits' departure for Paris, Robert B. Potter acquired The Rocks and by 1890,it was the summer estate of New York banker Henry Clews. The dramatic setting of the house, melting into a boulder-strewn field overlooking the famed Spouting Rock, inspired the artistic aspirations of Henry Clews Jr., who became a noted sculptor. The house was demolished and its grounds incorporated into the adjoining Cushing property between 1945 and 1950.
Thomas G.Appleton (1871)
- Thomas G. Appleton House
- Architect: Richard Morris Hunt
- Located on Catherine Street
- Demolished: Date unknown
Thomas G. Appleton of Boston, a childhood friend of Hunt, commissioned this highly original and picturesque summerhouse in the immediate vicinity of Richard and Catherine Hunt’s own cottage. The most fully developed of Hunt's 'chalets', the Appleton House, until its destruction by fire, was known for its projecting balconies, variously shaped dormers, painted shingle roof, and a profusion of posts, brackets, and diagonal braces. The second story included wood shingles and colored slate laid in patterns reminiscent of contemporary French villa architecture. The site was incorporated into the grounds of the adjoining Ayrault House and subsequently subdivided.
D'Hauteville Cottage (1871)
- D'Hauteville Estate
- Architects: Peabody & Stearns
- Located on Bellevue Avenue between Gordon Street and Victoria Avenue
- Demolished: 1950s
A fanciful Stick Style and half-timbered cottage, this house was designed as one of the first residential commissions of the architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns, for F. S. G. D'Hauteville of Switzerland and Boston. Francis Saxhaw Elwes Drury of London, who had married Mabel Gerry of Newport and New York,acquired the cottage in 1929. Re-baptized Drury Lodge, the house remained in the Drury family into the 1950s, when, following a fire, it was largely demolished. A truncated fragment of the house remains.
F. W.Andrews House (1872)
- F. W. Andrew House
- Architect: Henry Hobson Richardson
- Located on Maple Avenue
- Demolished: Date unknown
Engulfed by the 1940s expansion of the U.S. Naval Station, the Maple Avenue estate district was known in the early twentieth century for its sweeping views of Narragansett Bay and its restored Revolutionary War earthworks. Richardson, assisted by Charles Follen McKim as draftsman, planned a Queen Anne style summer home, for the Andrews family of Boston, to embrace these views. For the house's exterior,the architect experimented with combinations of patterned shingles and clapboards. This house became an important design source for the development of H. H. Richardson’s Queen Anne style in such succeeding projects as the William Watts Sherman House (1874-76) in Newport. Badly damaged by fire, the house was subsequently torn down for a residential subdivision.
William Gammell Cottage (c. 1872)
- Gammell Estate
- Architect: Unknown
- Located: Anandale Road Area
- Demolished: 1955
Built for William Gammell, a distinguished professor at Brown University in Providence,this large Italianate cottage with fanciful bracketed eaves was demolished fora contemporary house in 1948. Known as North Cottage in the Gammell family, the William Gammell House flanked that of Mrs. Thomas Shaw-Safe (nee Harriet Ives Gammell) called Ocean Lawn by Peabody & Stearns (extant, 1889), architects,and that of Mr. R. S. Gammell. The latter Gammell cottage, South Cottage, or Southerly, was demolished in 1955 and its site incorporated into the former Shaw-Safe property by Mr. and Mrs. Harvey S. Firestone.
Linden Gate (1873)
- Henry G. Marquand House
- Architect: Richard Morris Hunt
- Located at the corner of Rhode Island Avenue and Old Beach Road
- Demolished: 1973
Built as the summer residence of H. G. Marquand of New York, Linden Gate was a large picturesque cottage built of random coursed ashlar, diamond patterned red and black brick, and upper stories of half timbering with intricate bargeboards. The interior featured paneled rooms by Hunt’s collaborator Luigi Frullini and interior decoration by John La Farge and Samuel Colman. Mr. Marquand, railroad financier and philanthropist, was the President of the Board of Trustees of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a long-time friend of Hunt, and an inveterate collector. So crammed with ceramics, textiles, and antiques were the interiors of Linden Gate that contemporaries labeled the house Bric-a-Brac Hall. Marquand’s daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Roderick Terry, maintained the property until it was sold by their estate in 1951. Converted to apartments and offices,the house was severely damaged by fire on February 18, 1973. Some reception room paneling was salvaged and Linden Gate was demolished for a residential subdivision.