Preservation Society of Newport County is in a crisis unprecedented in our
75-year history. The closure of the Newport Mansions for more than two months,
the cancellation of events and the continuing COVID-19 pandemic have drastically
reduced our revenues. Meanwhile we have cut costs while opening a small number
of properties for tours in a safe and responsible manner.
Our plan for
reopening and sustaining our operations is called “Project Relaunch.” It
includes a fundraising campaign asking donors to underwrite the personnel costs
of operating one or both houses for a day, a weekend, a week or a month.
Admissions revenues from the houses then will enable us to pay for other needs
such as utilities, insurance, maintenance of our properties and collections,
and to pay other essential employees.
This is a
historic moment for the Preservation Society and for Newport as a whole. We
hope to see a historic outpouring of support to help us meet these challenges.
Project Relaunch Campaign Highlights
We are asking our most loyal supporters to help keep our dedicated staff employed at The Breakers
and The Elms by making a gift to underwrite personnel costs at the houses, allowing us to rebuild
our admissions revenues.
Donors who support Project Relaunch at these levels will receive the following expressions of our gratitude:
- A gift of $65,000 will keep one house open for a month.
- A gift of $15,000 will keep one house open for a week.
- A gift of $5,000 will keep one house open for a weekend.
- A gift of $2,000 will keep one house open for a day.
- Every day in the entryway of each house, an elegantly designed (see image at right) sign will be displayed: “The Breakers/The Elms is open today/this weekend/this week/this month thanks to a generous gift from [your name].”
- Permanent plaques will be installed at each house at the close of the campaign, commemorating major donors who supported this historic initiative.
- Benefactors who make a gift of $65,000 or greater will enjoy an exclusive private guided tour and lunch, with up to eight guests, on The Breakers third-floor terrace or The Elms Carriage House courtyard.
- An event will be held exclusively to thank major donors to this campaign, tentatively scheduled for summer 2021.
All gifts to Project Relaunch are fully tax deductible as allowed by law.
To make a donation, please contact Tara Flynn, Director of Development,
at tflynn@NewportMansions.org or 401-847-1000, Ext. 191.
We are grateful for your support.