The Preservation Society of Newport County is in a crisis unprecedented in our 75-year history. The closure of the Newport Mansions and cancellation of events have left us without our major sources of revenue. Meanwhile we have drastically cut costs while working out a detailed plan to reopen the houses safely and responsibly.
The plan is called “Project Relaunch.” It starts with reopening The Breakers and The Elms to the public as soon as state government gives us the green light.
To support this partial reopening, which will put 50 people to work in the houses seven days a week, the Preservation Society has begun a fundraising campaign asking donors to underwrite the personnel costs of operating one or both houses for a day, a weekend, a week or a month so we have time to rebuild our visitorship. Admissions revenues from the houses then will enable us to pay for other needs such as utilities, insurance, maintenance of our properties and collections, and to pay other essential employees.
This is a historic moment for the Preservation Society and for Newport as a whole. We hope to see a historic outpouring of support to help us meet these challenges.
Project Relaunch Campaign Highlights
We are asking our most loyal supporters to help keep our dedicated staff employed at The Breakers
and The Elms by making a gift to underwrite personnel costs at the houses, allowing us to rebuild
our admissions revenues.
Donors who support Project Relaunch will receive the following expressions of our gratitude:
- A gift of $65,000 will keep one house open for a month.
- A gift of $15,000 will keep one house open for a week.
- A gift of $5,000 will keep one house open for a weekend.
- A gift of $2,000 will keep one house open for a day.
- Every day in the entryway of each house, an elegantly designed (see image at right)
sign will be displayed: “The Breakers/The Elms is open today/this weekend/this week/this month
thanks to a generous gift from [your name].”
- Permanent plaques will be installed at each house at the close of the campaign,
all donors who supported this historic initiative.
- Benefactors who make a gift of $65,000 or greater will enjoy an exclusive private
guided tour and lunch, with up to eight guests, on The Breakers third-floor terrace
or The Elms Carriage House courtyard.
- An event will be held exclusively to thank donors to this campaign,
tentatively scheduled for summer 2021.
All gifts to Project Relaunch are fully tax deductible as allowed by law.
To make a donation, please contact Tara Flynn, Director of Development,
at tflynn@NewportMansions.org or 401-847-1000, Ext. 191.
We are grateful for your support.