Newport Flower Show Postponed until 2021
The 25th Newport Flower Show, scheduled for June 19-21, 2020, at Rosecliff, has been postponed until June 18-20, 2021. The show will retain its theme, “Voices In The Garden,” and all of the competitive classes will remain the same.
Floral Design Division
Patricia Fernandez, Chair | firstname.lastname@example.org
Floral Design Entries
Kathy Michie, Chair | email@example.com
1. Floral Design Classes are open to all on a first-come basis. Designs may be the collaboration of more than one exhibitor. An exhibitor/s may enter only one class in the Floral Design Division. An exhibitor may be placed on a waiting list for an additional class, if desired, and will be notified by Friday, April 30, 2021, if space is available.
2. Exhibitors should review the information on our website at www.NewportFlowerShow.org then complete the online registration form.
Upon receipt of the registration form, exhibitors will receive confirmation of receipt by e-mail. An exhibitor’s information packet will be mailed. The packet will include your entry number, show badge, a plant list form, and a copy of the floor plan at Rosecliff and where applicable, a paint sample. If an exhibitor has requested a badge for a helper in advance this will also be included. Show badges must be worn at all times while in the grounds of Rosecliff.
3. Entry numbers will be pre-assigned by the Entries Chair on a first come basis.
4. Samples of staging (pedestals, niches, stands, etc.) will be available for inspection the week of May 3-7, 2021 at Rosecliff by appointment during business hours (9 a.m. until 3 p.m.) Details for making an appointment to see staging will be included in the exhibitor’s packet.
5. Fresh plant material must predominate unless otherwise stated. No cut fresh vegetables/fruit or prepared food products will be permitted.
6. No artificial flowers, foliage or vegetables will be permitted.
7. Accessories are permitted but should be used with discretion.
8. All containers must be labeled with the exhibitor’s name and address. Staging may not be altered or moved unless stated in the schedule.
9. Mechanics should not be visible unless they are an integral part of the design.
10. Designs may be partially assembled prior to show with finishing touches done on site.
11. Exhibitors are allowed on the Show floor at 5:00 a.m., Friday, June 18, 2021. Designs MUST be completed and passed by 8:00 a.m. The Passing Committee must pass each exhibit before exhibitor leaves Flower Show area. Design may not be altered after passing. Only required personnel may remain in exhibit area after 8:00 a.m.
12. Judging will begin at 8:30 a.m. Show opens to the public at 10:30 a.m.
13. All plant material must be correctly identified with the botanical and common names, if possible. A complete list should be emailed to Events@newportmansions.org
by Friday, June 11, 2021. The plant material list will be submitted to the Passing Committee.
Please note: Additions or deletions to the prepared list may be made the morning of the Show to accurately reflect the materials used in the design. Horticulture reference materials will be available at the Passing Committee table to identify unknown plant material.
The Royal Horticultural Society Horticultural Database is available online at www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp.
No plant material listed on the Rhode Island Endangered Species list may be used.
A complete list of endangered species is available at www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bpoladm/plandev/heritage.
14. Once an entry is accepted, if the exhibitor must cancel, he or she must find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for that class. The Entries Chair and Class Consultant should be notified immediately of any changes.
15. To qualify for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award, plant material used in the design must have been grown in the exhibitor’s garden, which may not include indoor plants and must have been in the exhibitor’s possession/garden for a minimum of 9 months. There may be no more than two exhibitors. This rule only applies to those who would like to be considered for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award. (All Floral Design Division Classes will be eligible for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award).
16. Fresh plant material must be in water or be conditioned in such a way as to remain in pristine form while on exhibition. An arrangement not maintained in Show condition may have its award removed. Show management may, at any time, remove an exhibit if deemed necessary.
17. Exhibitors are responsible for maintaining their own exhibits, but are cautioned not to over water, which may cause seepage and/or damage. Maintenance by the Committee may be done if prior notification is made on the Refreshing Form included in the exhibitor’s packet.
18. All maintenance may begin at 7:00 a.m. and must be completed by 8:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday mornings. Parking restrictions will be in place after 8:30 a.m. each day.
19. Exhibitors are responsible for the complete removal of their exhibits at the close of the Show on Sunday, June 20, 2021 between the hours of 5:15 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
20. While the Floral Design Division Committee and The Preservation Society of Newport County will afford the best possible protection to all exhibits, they distinctly disclaim all liability for loss or damage to exhibits and personal property belonging to exhibitors.
21. Novice and New Exhibitors will be eligible for specific awards. Please designate on the Registration form if you belong in one of these categories. A Novice is an exhibitor/s who has never won a blue ribbon in The Newport Flower Show in the Floral Design Division. A New Exhibitor is a person or group who is entering The Newport Flower Show for the first time in the Floral Design Division.
22. Class 5: Judges’ Challenge entries to be created between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 17, 2021. All plant material, components and tools supplied on site. This class is open to invited Judges with travel restrictions.
23. Class 7: Garden Nymphs. This class is staged on the head of a bust form supplied by The Newport Flower Show. If the exhibitor would like to work using the form prior to the show, it may be picked up or shipped at the exhibitor’s expense. To make arrangements to receive the form, please contact Events@newportmansions.org or call the Special Events Office at 401.847.1000 ext. 140.
24. Exhibitors are requested to enter through the front entrance of Rosecliff during set-up. Aides will be available to assist with unloading of plant materials and supplies and guide you to your exhibit location.