Newport Flower Show Postponed until 2021
The 25th Newport Flower Show, scheduled for June 19-21, 2020, at Rosecliff, has been postponed until June 18-20, 2021. The show will retain its theme, “Voices In The Garden,” and all of the competitive classes will remain the same.
Janice Panoff, Chair | email@example.com | 401-782-2256
Susan Winter, Vice Chair | firstname.lastname@example.org | 401-789-1694
Sarah Boynton, Vice Chair | email@example.com | 781-771-6947
Robyn Spagnolo, Chair Emeritas | firstname.lastname@example.org | 401-849-1955
Botanical Arts Entries
Kathy Michie, Chair | email@example.com | 508-835-3342
Note: NEW Rules - 18 and 19.
1. Please carefully read the Floral Design Division Rules and Guidelines.
2. Registration form must be received by the Entries Chair no later than Friday, April 2, 2021 and will be accepted in the order received. Exhibitors should complete the necessary registration form on our website at www.NewportFlowerShow.org or print e-mail a scan of your completed registration form to: Kathy Michie, firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. (508) 835.3342 *Please indicate NFS Entries in e-mail subject line.
Upon receipt of the registration form, exhibitors will receive confirmation of receipt by e-mail. An exhibitor’s information packet will be mailed. The packet will include your entry number, exhibitor name badge, staging details, a plant list form, a copy of the floor plan at Rosecliff, plant identification key cards, a card for a statement of intent (optional) and, where applicable, a paint sample.
If an exhibitor has requested a Show badge for a helper in advance, this will also be included. Show badges must be worn at all times while on the grounds of Rosecliff. Only those possessing a badge will be allowed on the Show grounds during set-up.
Entry numbers will be pre-assigned by the Entries Chair on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. Exhibitors are permitted one entry per class in the Botanical Arts Division. However, exhibitors may enter more than one class in the Botanical Arts Division. If forced to withdraw, the exhibitor must notify the Entries Chair, the Class Consultant and find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for the class. It is strongly suggested that exhibitors contact their Class Consultant for valuable and updated information.
4. All plant material used must be dried. This includes flowers, foliage, seeds, pods, nuts (in or out of shells), vegetables, twigs, vines, reeds, etc. Artificial, endangered, and locally invasive plant material may not be used.
5. Figural forms must be assembled or judiciously carved. Any plant material may be cut, incised or shaped to enhance artistic effect.
6. Non-plant material (i.e. cardboard, metal, twine, string, cording, etc.) may be used only for construction. Mechanics may not show.
7. All exhibits must appear to be functional.
8. Surface treatment of plant material may be painted, varnished, waxed, or nail polished. Exhibitors are strongly advised to use discretion if using glitter, resin epoxy finishes, or nail polishes containing glitter. Man-made crystals, gem stones, shells, feathers and pasta are not permitted.
9. A 5” x 8" typed key card is required for all exhibits and will be supplied by the Committee. It must show the plant material in its natural form, along with both botanical and common name. The exhibitor's name should be written in pencil on the back of the card. The entry form and key cards will be mailed in the exhibitor’s packet (see rule #2) and must be included with entry when submitted to the Show.
10. If an exhibitor intends to mail their entry, this should be noted in an email to the Entries Chair when they register.
Mail-in entries must be delivered no later than Tuesday, May 25, 2021, via US Postal Service or commercial carrier, with tracking, to:
Beverly A. Ware
Special Events Manager
The Preservation Society of Newport County
424 Bellevue Avenue
Newport RI 02840
Passing of the exhibit will be conducted by the Committee upon arrival.
Note: Following the Show, mail-in entries will only be returned if the exhibitor provides appropriate pre-paid and labeled shipping materials.
11. Exhibitors may deliver their entry in person to the Salon at Rosecliff on Thursday, June 17, 2021, from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Passing will take place in the Salon and will close promptly at 2 p.m. Judging will begin at 3 p.m.
12. Installation of the mail-in exhibits will be the responsibility of the Committee. Each entry will be handled with care and respect. Detailed photos of entry, taken from all sides, must be sent with the entry. The exhibitor should indicate top and bottom of the exhibit. Explicit directions as to how the entry is to be displayed are required. If an exhibit arrives damaged, the exhibitor will be notified. The exhibitor will have the option to have the entry returned for repair, if time permits, or the exhibitor can give permission for the Committee to make the repair. It is strongly suggested that a repair kit be included with the entry.
13. While the Botanical Arts Division Committee and The Preservation Society of Newport County will afford the best possible protection to all exhibits, they distinctly disclaim all liability for loss or damage to exhibits and personal property belonging to exhibitors.
14. An exhibit previously entered in any competition must be significantly altered before being submitted to The Newport Flower Show Botanical Arts Division.
15. A typed Statement of Intent is optional and may not exceed 25 words. Statements of Intent for all entries must be sent (by email) to the associated Class Consultant, by Friday, May 28, 2021.
16. If forms or staging must be shipped to exhibitor, exhibitor must pay shipping charges. A credit card number will need to be provided when request for shipping is made.
17. Novice and new exhibitors will be eligible for specific awards. Please designate on the Registration Form if you belong in one of these categories.
a. A Novice is an exhibitor(s) who has never won a blue ribbon in The Newport Flower Show in the Botanical Arts Division.
b. A New Exhibitor is a person or group entering The Newport Flower Show for the first time in the Botanical Arts Division.
18. NEW! All Entries must supply a photograph of finished entry by May 25, 2021. This also applies to those which are to be installed in person at the show. The Photo must show either the completed entry or an entry near completion. Photographs should be emailed to the corresponding Class Consultant.
19. NEW! For those interested in Botanical Arts Techniques, try this! https://sarahboynton.net/informational-videos
20. Scale of points:
Design | 30
Craftsmanship | 25
Originality | 20
Interpretation of theme | 15
Distinction | 10