Page 18 - 2017 Preservation Society Summer Gazette
P. 18

John J. Slocum, Jr.
1941 - 2017
Just as this edition of the Newport Gazette was going to press, we learned of the passing of "Jerry" Slocum, former President and Chairman of the Preservation Society from 1989 - 1999, and Trustee Emeritus.
Mr. Slocum received the Preservation Society's highest honor, the Antiquarian Medal, on his retirement from the Board in 1999.
Among the Preservation Society's many accomplishments under his leadership were the acquisition of 424 Bellevue Avenue as its administrative offices; the acquisition and restoration of Isaac Bell House; conversion
of Chepstow into a historic house museum; attainment of National Historic Landmark status for The Breakers, The Elms, Kingscote and Isaac Bell House; launch of the Newport Symposium and the Newport Flower Show; and establishment of the annual John G. Winslow Lecture.
In addition to his role at the Preservation Society, Mr. Slocum served as a long-time director of the Alletta Morris McBean Charitable Trust and a director of the Redwood Library and Athenaeum. He
also was a director of the Newport Reading Room, a longtime governor of the Spouting Rock Beach Association, and a member of the Newport Clambake Club.
The Preservation Society of Newport County extends its condolences to Mr. Slocum's family.
18 Summer 2017
OFFICERS
Chairman
Monty Burnham
Vice Chairman
William N. Wood Prince
Vice Presidents
William P. Egan II David P. Leys
Archbold D. van Beuren Mary Van Pelt
Treasurer
William F. Lucey III
Assistant Treasurer
Janet L. Robinson
Secretary
William F. Hatfield
Assistant Secretary
Arthur W. Murphy, Esq.
TRUSTEES
Dr. Holly M. Bannister Mortimer Berkowitz III Duncan A. Chapman Carol J. Epstein
Steven B. Gewirz
Peter W. Harris
Eaddo Hayes Kiernan Elizabeth Wright McMillen Ann Mencoff
John D. Muggeridge Naomi Neville
John Peixinho
John G. Picerne Jocelyn C. Sherman Merrill W. Sherman Dale J. Venturini William F. Wilson
TRUSTEES EMERITI
Carol C. Ballard Marion O. Charles Jerome R. Kirby Donald O. Ross Richard N. Sayer, Esq. George H. Warren
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER/EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Trudy Coxe
INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL
Armin B. Allen, Co-Chair
Earl A. Powell, III, Co-Chair
John Winthrop Aldrich
Theresa Behrendt
Frederick Beinecke
Bonnie Burnham
Dr. Johan Cederlund
Maureen K. Chilton
Claudio Del Vecchio
Debra Del Vecchio
Peter Eltz
Baron Roland de L’Espée
Morrison H. Heckscher
Robin Herbert, C.B.E.
Count Denis de Kergorlay
Stephen S. Lash
Brooks Lobkowicz
Robert B. MacKay
Pauline C. Metcalf
Anne L. Poulet
Sir Hugh Roberts
Charles M. Royce
Deborah G. Royce
Tracie Rozhon
El Marques de Santa Cruz
Henrietta Spencer-Churchill, BIID, FIIDA Diane B. Wilsey
Richard Guy Wilson
PRESERVATION SOCIETY PROPERTIES
Arnold Burying Ground (1675) Hunter House (circa 1748) Kingscote (1839-1841) Chateau-sur-Mer (1851-1852) Green Animals Topiary Garden
(circa 1860)
Chepstow (1860-1861)
Isaac Bell House (1881-1883)
Osgood-Pell House (1887-1888)
Marble House (1888-1892)
The Breakers (1893-1895)
The Breakers Stable & Carriage House (1895)
The Elms (1899-1901) Rosecliff (1899-1902) Rovensky Park (1959)


































































































   16   17   18   19   20