2018 Call for Fellows Coming Soon
The details of the 2018 Call for Fellows will be posted here soon. Please check back.
An M.A. or Ph.D. in a relevant academic field
such as the history of art, architecture or the decorative arts, landscape
design history, historic preservation, material culture, literature, cultural
geography, history, and public policy as it relates to cultural heritage.
Doctoral candidates conducting dissertation research will also be considered.
Proven ability to work independently, organize and manage multiple projects and
meet rigorous deadlines is necessary, as are strong research, writing, and
public speaking skills.
Fellows receive a stipend of $24,000, a travel and research stipend of $1,000
and housing at no cost in our newly renovated Berwind-Stautberg Scholars Center,
located in the historic Horace Trumbauer-designed Carriage House of the Elms.
All fellows should be prepared to deliver a public presentation of their
project at the conclusion of their fellowship.
Previous fellowships have explored such diverse subjects as the roots of cultural philanthropy in the slave trade; hygiene and resort culture; Gilded Age music; post-civil war developments in domestic service spaces; 18th century trade networks and artisans; preservation policy; colonial-era coastal archaeology, lighting technology, historic fashion and textiles as well as specific makers, patrons and media.
Step 1: Prepare Materials
- Application form: Complete the application form.
- Project proposal: Please provide an abstract (250-500 words) describing your project, the work you plan to undertake in Newport and the surrounding area, and identifying specific resources in local institutions and/or repositories that will inform your work.
- Vita: Please provide a copy of your current curriculum vitae.
- References: Please provide two letters of reference from scholars or advisors who are familiar with your work.
Step 2: Submit Materials
- Reference letters: Please instruct your reference writers to submit their letters via email to
. The email subject should include your last name and the word “reference”
- Application: E-mail your complete application, including application form, essay, and vita, to
Please put your name in the subject line.
You may submit your materials directly via the online application form
, or download a PDF
of the instructions and application form here. Application deadline TBA.