Floral Design Division Chair
Vera Bowen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Floral Design Division Vice Chair
Lynne Merrill, email@example.com
Floral Design Entries Chair
Kathy Michie, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Floral Design Classes are open to all on a first-come basis. Designs may be the collaboration of more than one exhibitor. An exhibitor/s may enter only one class in the Floral Design Division. An exhibitor may be placed on a waiting list for an additional class, if desired, and will be notified by Monday, May 1, 2017, if space is available.
2. Exhibitors should complete the online registration form
or e-mail a scan of the completed registration form from the schedule booklet to email@example.com
. Please indicate NFS Entries in e-mail subject line.
Upon receipt of the registration form, exhibitors will receive confirmation of receipt by e-mail. An exhibitor’s information packet will be mailed. The packet will include your entry number, show badge, a plant list form, and a copy of the floor plan at Rosecliff and where applicable, a paint sample. If an exhibitor has requested a badge for a helper in advance this will also be included. Show badges must be worn at all times while in the grounds of Rosecliff.
3. Entry numbers will be pre-assigned by the Entries Chair on a first come basis.
4. Samples of staging (pedestals, niches, stands, etc.) will be available for inspection the week of May 1-5, 2017 at Rosecliff by appointment during business hours (9 a.m. until 3 p.m.) Details for making an appointment to see staging will be included in the exhibitor’s packet.
5. Fresh plant material must predominate unless otherwise stated. No cut fresh vegetables/fruit or prepared food products will be permitted.
6. No artificial flowers, foliage or vegetables will be permitted.
7. Accessories are permitted but should be used with discretion.
8. All containers must be labeled with the exhibitor’s name and address. Staging may not be altered or moved unless stated in the schedule.
9. Mechanics should not be visible unless they are an integral part of the design.
10. Designs may be partially assembled prior to show with finishing touches done on site.
11. Exhibitors are allowed on the Show floor at 5:00 a.m., Friday, June 23, 2017. Designs MUST be completed and passed by 8:00 a.m. The Passing Committee must pass each exhibit before exhibitor leaves Flower Show area. Design may not be altered after passing. Only required personnel may remain in exhibit area after 8:00 a.m.
12. Judging will begin at 8:30 a.m. Show opens to the public at 10:30 a.m.
13. All plant material must be correctly identified with the botanical and common names, if possible. A complete list must be emailed to Vera Bowen by Friday, June 9, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
. The plant material list will be submitted to the Passing Committee.
Please note: Additions or deletions to the prepared list may be made the morning of the Show to accurately reflect the materials used in the design. Horticulture reference materials will be available at the Passing Committee table to identify unknown plant material.
The Royal Horticultural Society Horticultural Database is available online at
No plant material listed on the Rhode Island Endangered Species list may be used.
14. Once an entry is accepted, if the exhibitor must cancel, he or she must find a substitute unless there is a waiting list for that class. The Entries Chair and Class Consultant should be notified immediately of any changes.
15. To qualify for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award, plant material used in the design must have been grown in the exhibitor’s garden, which may not include indoor plants and must have been in the exhibitor’s possession/garden for a minimum of 9 months. There may be no more than two exhibitors. This rule only applies to those who would like to be considered for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award. All Floral Design Division Classes will be eligible for the Bettie Bearden Pardee Award.
16. Fresh plant material must be in water or be conditioned in such a way as to remain in pristine form while on exhibition. An arrangement not maintained in Show condition may have its award removed. Show management may, at any time, remove an exhibit if deemed necessary.
17. Exhibitors are responsible for maintaining their own exhibits, but are cautioned not to over water, which may cause seepage and/or damage. Maintenance by the Committee may be done if prior notification is made on the Refreshing Form included in the exhibitor’s packet.
18. All maintenance may begin at 7:00 a.m. and must be completed by 8:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday mornings. Parking restrictions will be in place after 8:30 a.m. each day.
19. Exhibitors are responsible for the complete removal of their exhibits at the close of the Show on Sunday, June 25, 2017 between the hours of 5:15 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
20. While the Floral Design Division Committee and The Preservation Society of Newport County will afford the best possible protection to all exhibits, they distinctly disclaim all liability for loss or damage to exhibits and personal property belonging to exhibitors.
21. Novice and New Exhibitors will be eligible for specific awards. Please designate on the Registration form if you belong in one of these categories. A Novice is an exhibitor/s who has never won a blue ribbon in The Newport Flower Show in the Floral Design Division. A New Exhibitor is a person or group who is entering The Newport Flower Show for the first time in the Floral Design Division.
22. Class 5: Judges’ Challenge entries to be created between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 22, 2017. All plant material, components and tools supplied on site. This class is open to invited Judges with travel restrictions.
23. Class 12: Requires a Statement of Intent which should be emailed to Vera Bowen at email@example.com
no later than Friday, June 9, 2017 and may not exceed 25 words.
24. Exhibitors are requested to enter through the front entrance of Rosecliff during set-up. Aides will be available to assist with unloading of plant materials and supplies and guide you to your exhibit location.
25. Container for Class 11 will be supplied to exhibitors. If container must be shipped to exhibitor, exhibitor must pay shipping charges. A credit card number will need to be provided when request for shipping is made.
Botanical Arts & Floral Design Glossary
Bridge Design: Design comprised of multiple parts linked together so that connected elements appear as one design. Length and strength of connecting elements should be appropriate in scale and proportion to bridged components.
Contemporary Design: Floral design not following traditional styles, using imagination and creativity to devise new approaches to the selection and organization of plant material and other components according to principles and elements of design.
Key Card: (BA Div. only) A typed list of botanical and common names accompanying an exhibit. Corresponding numbers are placed with each individual sample of untreated plant material. Card to be supplied in exhibitor’s packet.
Mass Design: Profusion of flowers of various forms and sizes arranged in an oval, triangular or fan-shaped design, a closed silhouette having more solids than voids. (Traditional)
Mobile Design: A suspended design consisting of individual parts which can be moved by air currents.
New Exhibitor: A person or group who is entering that particular division of The Newport Flower Show for the first time.
Novice: An exhibitor/s who has never won a blue ribbon in that particular division of The Newport Flower Show.
Parallel Design: A design in which plant material (and other components) are placed in strongly parallel groupings with open space between; may be vertical, horizontal or diagonal. Multiple containers may be used but must appear as a single unit.
Statement of Intent: A brief typed paragraph (no more than 25 words) offering explanation of the exhibitor’s creation. (See Rules and Guidelines for divisional details - Botanical Arts #15 and Floral Design #23)
Underwater Design: A creative design where all or part of the design is submerged under visible water.